6/25/2005

The Books I Love


Brother Maynard tagged me back on the 16th with a “meme” that floats from person to person, this one about the books we read.

So here are my responses:

1. Total number of books I own / have owned:
I’m nowhere on par with the great Brother Maynard…I recently dumped a bunch of books when I moved my office to another part of the basement. So now I estimate the number to be around 800-900.

2. Last book I bought:
Christianity and the Postmodern Turn: Six Views, edited by Myron B. Penner
I have aquired an insatiable desire to learn about how postmodernism and Christianity will interact in the coming years. This book offers the insights of six scholars who, I hope, will deepen my understanding of different views as to what has happened and will happen to Christianity because of the postmodern turn.

3. Last book I read:
Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living by Cornelius Plantinga Jr.
(see my previous post)

4. Five books that mean a lot to me:
Interestingly, two of mine made it on Brother Maynard’s list as well...
These books, in order of appearance in my life, radically transformed the way I viewed my Christian existence:
Desiring God by John Piper
The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge
A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey by Brian D. McLaren
Heaven Is a Place on Earth: Why Everything You Do Matters to God by Michael E. Wittmer
Out of the Question… Into the Mystery by Leonard Sweet

5. Two major books when I was a kid:
I can think of one:
The Invisible Man by Ray Bradbury
Especially the short story “The Man” in it, which tells the story of Jesus arriving at a distant planet right before a rocket lands with Earthmen in it. The conceited captain of the ship is ticked that there is no fanfare for the first Earthmen landing on the planet, but the people are simply not interested because somebody more impressive arrived before them.
I was not a Christian as a child, but this story always fascinated me.

Thanks, Bro Maynard for the meme.

technorati:

No comments: