9/29/2010

College Advice from Gideon Strauss


What students should do to make college count:

1. Fall in love. College is a time to decide what matters most in life, and to order the whole of your life toward that deepest love.

2. Ask big questions. College is a time to review the biggest questions, to talk about them, read about them, watch movies about them, and figure out your own answers to them, in alignment with your deepest loves. Who am I? Where do I belong? What kind of person do I want to be? How shall I live? What am I supposed to be doing with my life? How do I make sense of what is going on in the world around me?

3. Read great books. College is a time to settle in for some serious, heavy reading — which with practice becomes one of the most fun things anyone can do. Shakespeare. Plato. Jane Austen. Aristotle. John Calvin. Alexis de Tocqueville. The Psalms. And the list goes on. Ask yourself of each book: What if this were truly true? How should I live if it were?



Gideon Strauss
, PhD
Chief Executive Officer, Center for Public Justice

Editor, Capital Commentary

Editor, Comment Magazine


Courtesy of Derek Melleby's Make College Count

No comments: