11/19/2007

This time, the ball bounces the Browns way


I've been a life-long Cleveland Browns fan.

And the last time the Browns won a title was the year I was born (1964).

It is very difficult being a Browns fan. It seems that there is some divine reason the Browns are not allowed to win big games. It seems that the ball always bounces the other way.

But this time. Oh, this time.

Against the hated Ravens (the former Browns!), Phil Dawson's 51-yard field goal to send the game into overtime bounced off the upright, caromed off the curved pole that holds up the field goal post, and inextricably flew backwards and landed in the end zone.

The officials under the filed goal looked at each other inquisitively, and Field Judge Jim Saracino signaled that it was no good. But Back Judge Keith Ferguson said that he thought he saw it hit the post behind the cross bar and insisted on this to Referee Pete Morelli.

Meanwhile, I'm at home yelling at the TV that the field goal was good. "It hit the post behind the cross bar!! It's gooooood!!"

And after watching the replays, there was no doubt. Good. And, even though field goals are not reviewable with replay, the Referee proclaimed that it was indeed good.

Overtime.

And then Victory.


This time, the ball bounced the Browns way.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

I was at Circuit City with my dad when that field goal to tie happened. I watched it bounce around, assumed it was missed, and WALKED AWAY (like most of the players did.)

From across the store, my dad was looking for me to give a thumbs up or thumbs down. I walked up to him, asked him, "remember how the Brown lost last week? Well, it just happened again (last week was a missed 52 yard field goal that would have tied. This week it was a 51 yarder.)

It wasn't for another 2 or 3 hours that my dad informed me that the Brown actually won in overtime. Was I shocked!

joe said...

my god in heaven...